Inside: 47 Unique Bonus Room Ideas + Designs.
Extra space is a precious commodity for many of us!
The best bonus room ideas come from a desire to turn an unused space into something amazing and practical. Depending on its size, your bonus room could become a second living room, extra bedroom, playroom, game room, or even a home theater.
Decorating ideas are limitless when it comes to bonus room design.
As with every room in your home, deciding the bonus room’s primary purpose is the first step in organizing your thoughts.
You must also take into consideration the needs of the people who will be using the room most frequently.
As you look through these bonus room ideas, take note of which design features make you smile and use them as inspiration for creating your own perfect spot.
Popular Bonus Room Ideas
Bonus Room Play Room Ideas
A bonus room playroom is ideal for any family with children. Bonus room ideas for playrooms must first consider safety, then include all the touches needed to make the area your home’s designated fun zone. The space can grow right along with your children, evolving according to their ages, interests, and needs. Younger kids often enjoy having a small stage for their impromptu performances. Older kids will likely request an area to play video games with their friends.
1. Comfy Kids Hang Out and Play Room
2. Bright and Fun Kids Playroom Idea
3. Fun Playroom with Tons of Organization
4. Art Wall for Kids in Bonus Playroom
5. Bonus Room with Climbing Wall
Bonus Media Room or Theatre
Invest in one or two comfy couches that recline, or purchase reclining theater seats that can be set up in rows. Frame and display some of your favorite movie posters, but keep the overall décor minimal so as to not distract attention away from the screen. Dark walls are helpful when watching a movie during the daytime, but don’t be afraid to run with a lighter color scheme in your home theater if it suits you better.
6. Cozy Movie Room with Lots of Seating
7. Bonus Media Room
8. Themed Bonus Movie Room
9. Bonus Theatre Room with a Bar
10. Comfy Movie Bonus Room
Decked Out Game Room
Using a bonus room for games, pool, or ping-pong is an idea that goes back for decades. In fact, creating a game or hobby room remains one of the most popular bonus room ideas, especially when the space also incorporates room for lounging. Including a TV and gaming system in the lounge zone makes it a well-rounded game room for all ages.
11. Classic Decor for Game Room
12. Game Room Decor
13. Cozy and Simple Bonus Game Room Idea
14. Cool Hangout Game Room
15. Video Gaming Bonus Room
An inviting bar can be the primary reason behind creating a bonus room, or it may simply be a nice accessory to a room dedicated to gaming or lounging.
16. Small Stocked Bar
17. Cool Bonus Basement Bar
18. Home Bar Design Idea
19. Little Bar for Small Bonus Room
20. Built-In Bar in Bonus Room
Extra Bedroom Space
If your family has grown beyond your home’s original footprint, turning a bonus room into a bedroom can give you the extra sleeping zone you need. A bedroom bonus room is also great for families who need a guest room for visiting family and friends.
This is even a great idea if you have an older kid(s) that want some of their own extra space.
21. Bonus Room Guest Beds
22. Tucked In Guest Space
23. Bunk Bed Built-Ins
24. Coolest Teen Space in Bonus Room
25. Cute Bonus Bedroom Idea
Unique Bonus Room Ideas
Creative Crafting/Art Space
If your home is filled with creative energy, then an artsy bonus room might be the perfect choice for your family. You can dedicate the space to a fun crafting night, music sessions, an art studio, or even a pottery area. The possibilities are truly endless when it comes to creating an inspiring space.
26. Bonus Craft Room
27. Built-in Desks and Workspace
28. Cool Bonus Room Over Garage Workspace
29. Organized Crafting Area
30. Bright and Open Creative Space
Small Bonus Room Ideas
Even a small bonus room may quickly become your home’s favorite hangout spot. In fact, you may be surprised at how well you can turn a relatively small room into a combination living, working, and playing area. Some decor ideas may not work if you have a small bonus room, but you can also do a lot to maximize the extra space you’ve found.
31. Hangout Bonus Room with Lots of Seating
32. Simple Multi-Functional Space
33. Small Colorful Bonus Office
34. Share Bonus Room Space
35. Small Bonus Room Hangout
School Room or Office Space
If you home school, work from home, or just need a space to get a few things done, turning your bonus room into a working office is a great idea.
36. Built-In Kids Desk Idea
37. Bonus Room Office Idea
38. Bonus Room Turned Into an Office
39. Bright and Fun Home Office in Bonus Room
40. Built-In Desks
Cool Bonus Room Decor Ideas
There are a few VERY important piercing of decor and furniture that are needed when planning a bonus room. From comfy lounging areas, large tables for games, and even some cool mood-setting lights, check out our favorite decor ideas for your bonus room area.
41. Bar and Counter Leather Stool Set
42. Cozy Sectional
43. Colorful Shag Upholstered Ottoman
44. Monopoly Theme Wall Art
45. Cool Modern Media Cabinet
46. Unique and Fun Lighting Idea
47. Tall Popcorn Machine with Cart
More Cool Home Design Ideas You’ll Love
If you like these cool and unique bonus room ideas, then check out a few more of our favorite home design inspirations.
- 47 Great Finds for Kids Rooms – One of the most important things to remember when designing a kid’s space is to make it fun and customize it to their growing personality! Check out these 47 great finds for kids’ rooms that are sure to create a space you and your little one will love!
- Stylish Daybed Round Up – Ideas for Every Room – A daybed although simple in shape and form is one of THE most versatile pieces of furniture. Use it in a bedroom as an oversized bench or small bed, use it in the living room as a transitional piece of seating to join two areas together, or float it just about anywhere to instantly create a stand-alone seating area. Here are a few of our favorite daybed round-up ideas.
- The Best 21 Deck Furniture Ideas You Can Afford! – Outfit your deck with the best deck furniture ideas such as sleek outdoor sofa, or classic rocking chairs stacked with fluffy cushions, and your outdoor space quickly becomes a backyard oasis for you and your family to enjoy!