Inside: When updating the lower level of the house you need to find the best basement rug ideas to handle the humidity, dirt and all the fun you’ll have downstairs.
The basement is one of the least appreciated rooms in the house. This could be due to the fact that they’re known to be cold, and dark, and there isn’t much traffic.
You are less likely to spend time in your basement than any other room in your house. But I think with a little TLC, this could do a full 180.
Your basement has the potential to become the fun hangout hub that you never knew you needed.
Next thing you know, your place will be the spot that all of your friends gravitate to. Because there is nothing sadder than wasted space, and that is exactly what an unloved basement is. It may seem like a lot of work, but it is absolutely worth it!
To start, most basements have that cold cement flooring. This can make the overall atmosphere feel off and uninviting. We have to fix this!
To do this, we need to add some carpeting or rugs. Lucky for you, I’ve compiled a list of 37 of the absolute best rugs that were made for basement floors.
But before we get into that, I want to explain some of the must-haves when choosing a rug for your basement.
Basement Rug Must-Haves
Your basement is a little different than the rest of your house in terms of the way it’s used. Many basements are where you go to do your laundry or work on projects.
The humidity is also different in your basement, which can affect your rug in the long term.
For these reasons, there are a few characteristics that you should be looking for when choosing a rug.
- Durability – You want your rug to last a long time, so choosing a higher quality one ensures that it will be durable in the long term. Though this isn’t a high-traffic area, other factors make it important to include this when choosing a carpet.
- Stain Resistance – The higher humidity can contribute to moister in the air. This can end up pooling during hotter parts of the day, so it is important to get a rug that is stain-resistant. This can also be helpful for everyday mishaps!
- Water Resistance – For reasons similar to what I explained above, having a rug that is water resistant can be very a very helpful characteristic.
- Length – The length of your carpet fibers has quite the impact. Longer shag carpets are nice. They are softer, yes, but it also means that they are at risk of getting dirtier, while also stubbornly holding onto dirt
- Padding – Getting water-resistant padding can help add to the comfort of the rug. So if you are someone who plans on standing a lot down there then I suggest choosing a rug with some more padding.
Basement Area Rugs
These basement rug ideas will cover an entire area and are some of the cutest rugs we found. Choosing a rug can be one of the most fun parts of decorating a room because it has the ability to really pull the whole thing together.
Being a durable rug with many of the qualities that it takes to be a long-term part of your basement is important of course, but so is style. You truly have the opportunity to put some personality into this place.
Making your space your own has been proven to have benefits on your mental health and overall energy levels. Worth a shot right?
1. Black and Grey Ombre Rug
2. Ombre Grey Area Rug
3. Vibrant Colored Bohemian Rug
4. Non-Slip Navy Blue Rug
5. White Boho Distressed Carpet
6. Spartan Area Rug
7. Simple Carpet with Diamond Shaped Design
8. Boho Jute Card
9. Non-Shedding Rug
10. Distressed Adorable Rug
Best Basement Rugs To Hide Dirt
This next list is a good mix of style and usefulness. I made sure to incorporate styles from simple contemporary designs to colorful floral patterns.
There is truly something for everyone here! Take a look at these adorable rugs that would make for the perfect addition to your underground hangout.
11. White Contemporary Rug with Gray Lines
12. Cute Green Area Rug
13. Charcol Grey Flat Rug
14. Cute Checkered Area Rug
15. Runner with Rubber Back
17. Tribal Designs in Black And White
18. Box Design in Black & Grey
19. Floral Colorful Rug
20. Waikiki Rug Collection
21. Medallion Carpet
22. Geometric Zig Zag Rug
23. Vintage Style Cute Rug
24. Distressed Colorful Mandala Rug
25. Colorful Area Rug
26. Intracate Boho Chic Rug
27. Light Blue and White Contemporary Rug
28. Natural Fiber Rug
29. Diamond Design with Grey Background
30. 4 Color Triangle Rug
Durable Carpets For Downstairs
This last section of basement rug ideas is going to be encouragement to go ahead and look into carpets is for those of you with a troubled basement. We’ve all seen it, trouble with leaks, keeping mold at bay, fighting with the moisture in the air. It can be tiring no doubt!
Having a rug that poses to be more of a problem than a fun addition can be such a drag. So take a look at these super durable carpets that will make your job just that much easier.
31. Cute Striped Rug
32. Distressed White and Grey
33. Light Green and Cream Mandala
34. Adorable Boho Geometric Rug
35. Tommy Bahama Area Rug
36. Simple but Adorable Classic Rug
37. Rust Colored Antique Style Rug
And there you have it our fave basement rug ideas. I hope you found something that you like, as well as learned some of the more important qualities that a good basement rug will have. Now get out there and make that space your own!
More Ideas You’ll Love
25 Garage Home Gym Ideas
- – Since we are on the topic of updating unused spaces, how about we discuss the art of turning your garage into a home gym! Having your gym at home is great for many reasons. First of all, you are more inclined to work out when you don’t have to carve out time to get to the gym. You are already there! Second of all, you will end up saving tons of money in the long term by avoiding those gym fees. Not to mention the whole process of creating your at-home workout space can be quite the fun motivator to get your body moving. Take a look at this article to get a good idea of how to start yours today!